Who Loves a Test?
When taking tests do you prefer multiple choice; essays; or fill-in-the-blank? I’m an anomaly because I like them all. IRL (this is my new favorite acronym) and it means In Real Life, we don’t always have the opportunity for multiple choice or essays. Yet, the fill-in-the-blank option is something we can do every day.
Blanks are the New Goals
The word goal is over-used, and yes, you will find them in many of my blogs. One day, when I have more time, perhaps I will edit them. Goals are one of those words that has lost its meaning. As adult women, I truly believe we know what we want. Sometimes we get in our own way to make what we want to happen a reality.
I think it is more about making room for being open to doing some things perhaps d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t-l-y!
That’s why I believe blanks are replacing goals. Blanks have so much potential, just waiting to be filled in. Blanks can be nouns, verbs, adjectives. And, they can change.
Change Your Mind(set)
I talk to a lot of Fiercely50ish women who openly admit to being resistant to change. Here is what I have heard:
- I’ve used the same makeup for years, and I am not going to change
- Why should I start exercising; I’ve lived this long without it
- I don’t care about style; I only care that I am comfortable
- That is for someone not my age (puhleeeze don’t get me started on that At Your Age thing)
This mindset makes me cuckoo!
I am a firm believer that an open mind breeds a positive attitude. And this knows no age. Gravitating and staying in the right frame of mind takes practice. It’s not easy. When you are in the right mindset, you allow your that to become your blanks, and this can lead to change.
Ain’t nothing going to happen when we start a sentence with, “I can’t, I won’t, I am not.” While it is wonderful to acknowledge our limitations, please don’t lead with them or your blanks are meaningless.
What Are Your Blanks?
I’m sure you have a ton of blanks that can be filled in. I do. And, they may change. I want them to change. You want them to change. It’s good to change.
Using the examples, I listed above, let’s use the fill-in-the-blank principle-
- I have used ___________ make-up for a really long time. I am open to the possibility of experimenting with ________________ and feeling ___________________ about this.
- I want to feel good and I know that _________________ will make me feel better if I can commit to ___________ for _______________ minutes/days/hours.
- I have noticed the __________________ and I think it is _________________. I would be interested in trying this on in a _____________________ color and see how I feel when wearing this.
- I got nothin’ for the last bullet-if you feel that way, I need another blog post to address those issues
So really, our blanks are telling our new stories. They are our future selves taking control with a new mindset. Filling in your blanks will amaze you.